Tuesday, June 17, 2014

WEST MEMPHIS, ARKANSAS

We left Lebanon a little before 8:00 a.m. and hit Nashville during the peak rush hour.  There were several accidents that brought our line of traffic to a halt - stop then start again - go 10 feet and stop again.  Thankfully we were all eventually able to get through safely and hit the open road to Memphis.  There was a lot of traffic - especially big trucks - on I-40.  The weather was great - no rain and clear.  But, it was hot outside.

Just outside of Jackson, TN I realized my CB radio was not working.  Normally I wouldn't care as I have little need for it when we are by ourselves.  But, since CB was our only communication with Ray and Charlie (other than a cell phone) we zipped into a Love's truck stop, I ran in and bought a new radio and we were back on the road in less than 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, I-40 is still the same rutted, bumpy, pot-holed road immediately across the state line into Arkansas.  It doesn't seem to be any better than it was when I first drove this route 20 years ago.

We stopped for the night at Tom Sawyer RV Park, which is right on the Mississippi River.  I do mean right on - we can spit in the river from the front steps on the RV.  The water is really moving from the recent rains.  We enjoyed watching the barge traffic up and down the river  One of the tugs was pushing 27 barges - ]7 long and 3 across, up river.  I tried to get a picture but it was too dark to do any good.

Everyone got together for "happy hour" and then dinner over at Charlie & Sandra's RV.  We had a cool breeze coming in off the water that kept it pleasant outside.

Right in front of Ray and Linda's RV there are several blue flags pushed into the ground.  The are marking a bird nest.  These birds just dig a small hole and lay their eggs on the ground.  If you come near the nest they run (not fly) away from the nest, roll over on their back and pretend they are hurt. It was one of the strangest bird behaviors I have ever seen.

OK - Crazy Ray wants to leave tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. so we can get ahead of the heat and traffic.  That is mighty early for me.  I must quit and go to bed but I do have a few photos to post.

 Our campsite at Tom Sawyer on the Mississippi River.

 Tugboat pushing a "small" barge down the Mississippi River

 This is one of the birds with the nest on the ground.  Maybe you can recognize what it is?

 The bird nest is just a clutch of four speckled eggs on the ground.

 When you get near the nest the birds roll over on their back and act like they are injured.  Both male and female do this!

 Crazy Ray.  Need I say more?  Yes, even us "Senior Citizens" still like to fool around and act silly at times.

 Nancy and Oscar walking along the river bank.

"Happy Hour" around Charlie & Sandra's RV.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment